Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

D&C 88

In the Old and New Testaments, the prophets have foretold of the "abomination of desolation", the destruction that will occur at times due to sin and disobedience. I have struggled to understand that phase and have wondered at times if it was more of a result of translation. In the Doctrine and Covenants, the phrase is "desolation of abomination" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:85) which makes a lot more sense to me. It is in the 88th section that we learn more of "desolation of abomination" that will take place in the latter days.

"...For not many days hence and the earth shall tremble and reel to and fro as a drunken man; and the sun shall hide his face, and shall refuse to give light; and the moon shall be bathed in blood; and the stars shall become exceedingly angry, and shall cast themselves down as a fig that falleth from off a fig–tree.
88 And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.
89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.
90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.
91 And all things shall be in acommotion; and surely, men's hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:87 - 91) (I specifically bolded one of the lines due to a recent knowing event)

It seems that these desolations of abominations will come only "after your testimony" or the testimony of his servants. To his servants, the Lord instructs -

"Abide ye in the liberty wherewith ye are made free; entangle not yourselves in sin, but let your hands be clean..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:86) It is truth that makes us free. It is obedience to his laws that make us free for "...the law also maketh you free."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:8) Man is free as he avoids sin and has clean hands and a pure heart.

And to do that he commands his servants as they prepare to bear testimony to -

...assemble yourselves together, and organize yourselves, and prepare yourselves, and sanctify yourselves; yea, purify your hearts, and cleanse your hands and your feet before me, that I may make you clean;
75 That I may testify unto your Father, and your God, and my God, that you are clean from the blood of this wicked generation; that I may fulfil this promise, this great and last promise, which I have made unto you, when I will.
76 Also...that ye shall continue in prayer and fasting from this time forth.
77 And ... that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.
78 Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand;
79 Of things both in aheaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—

Why?

80 That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:74 - 80)

And to all the saints he commands -

"Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor. " (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:81)

And by doing so, those -

"that seeketh me early shall find me, and shall not be forsaken." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:83)

And of those that reject this testimony -

"...they are left without excuse, and their sins are upon their own heads."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:82)

And in concluding and loving admonition, the Savior challenges us -

123 See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires.
124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.
125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.
126 Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:123 - 126)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home