Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, April 29, 2005

D&C 84

The Lord said to those who are called to preach his gospel -

"Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:85)

I've heard on many occasions where this scripture has been used to insinuate that those who are asked to speak in church should not prepare any notes and that the Spirit will dictate that which should be spoken. I do not necessarily believe that this is what this scriptures instructs. I am not suggesting that those asked to speak, should not "speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 68:3), what I believe the Lord is emphasizing is that we must "treasure up in [our] minds continually the words of life..." That is the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets. As we study and prepare he will give us "in the very hour" what is meted for man.

In this particular scripture, he didn't say in the moment, or at the very instance, but in the hour. There is no question throughout the scriptures that there is a different perspective of time between the Lord's and man's. We read -

"...be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day (New Testament 2 Peter 3:8), "...reap while the day lasts" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 6:3), and "...behold, the field is white already to harvest; and it is the eleventh hour, and the last time that I shall call laborers into my vineyard." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 33:3)

I believe when he uses the term "in the hour", it means sufficient time to study, receive inspiration and guidance, and be prepared to provide the instruction the Lord would desire. The Holy Ghost can provide inspiration and guidance in front of a computer monitor as easily as from the pulpit. As we are diligent and prepare "in the hour", he promises also that he will also tell us "in the very moment, what ye shall say." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 100:6)

For as we go about our duty and "...reprove the world of all their unrighteous deeds, and ... teach them of a judgment which is to come." The Lord promises "...I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:87 - 88)

I must finish my thoughts of the 84th Section with -

"...let every man stand in his own office, and labor in his own calling; and let not the head say unto the feet it hath no need of the feet; for without the feet how shall the body be able to stand?
110 Also the body hath need of every member, that all may be edified together, that the system may be kept perfect." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:109 - 110)

"And if any man among you be strong in the Spirit, let him take with him him that is weak, that he may be edified in all meekness, that he may become strong also.
107 Therefore, take with you those who are ordained unto the lesser priesthood, and send them before you to make appointments, and to prepare the way, and to fill appointments that you yourselves are not able to fill.
108 Behold, this is the way that mine apostles, in ancient days, built up my church unto me."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:106 - 108)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home