Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Saturday, April 16, 2005

D&C 65 - 67

The more I study the scriptures, the more I am in "awe" of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Before I continue this blog, I must say that I have come to know that Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration, not because of reason, logic, or mere belief, but because I have received a personal witness by the power of the Holy Ghost. Besides this witness, the more I study his life, his writings, his revelations, and his testimony, the more logic and reason supports this testimony.

Periodically I come across writings and literature that attempt to challenge the prophet's claims and his divine authority. This is nothing new, there were those who challenged his claims and revelations in his day - even members of the Church. Moroni told him his name "...should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people." (Pearl of Great Price JS-History 1:33)

As the revelations that had received to date by the Prophet were about to be published, Joseph Smith received a revelation that was to preface the published revelations of what was to called "The Book of Commandments". The Prophet asked the Brethren if they were willing to bear testimony that they were of the Lord. It appears to be some that weren't quite sure or willing to do so. The Lord then in revelation said -

"I, the Lord, give unto you a testimony of the truth of these commandments which are lying before you.
5 Your eyes have been upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and his language you have known, and his imperfections you have known; and you have sought in your hearts knowledge that you might express beyond his language; this you also know." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 67:4 - 5)

And then the Lord in the revelation extended an interesting challenge -

"Now, seek ye out of the Book of Commandments, even the least that is among them, and appoint him that is the most wise among you;
7 Or, if there be any among you that shall make one like unto it, then ye are justified in saying that ye do not know that they are true;" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 67:6 - 7)

And if they couldn't do it, he commanded -

"But if ye cannot make one like unto it, ye are under condemnation if ye do not bear record that they are true." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 67:8)

Because -

"...ye know that there is no unrighteousness in them, and that which is righteous cometh down from above, from the Father of lights. " (Doctrine and Covenants Section 67:9)

I'm sure the challenge continues to be extended to all, but most men choose, rather to accept the challenge, the choose to criticize and find fault. That always is the case people that choose to tear down or find fault in an attempt to bring others down instead of improving one self to higher levels.

I believe Wm E. McLellin accepted the Lord's offered but failed miserably which led many to bear testimony of that they were true.

For those who sincerely read his revelations and study the Book of Mormon, will also come to "know that there is no unrighteousness in them" and will come to know, as I know by the power of the Spirt that they are "from the Father of lights" and the promise is that "...inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am—not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 67:10)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home