Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

D&C 44 - 45

Which of us is not "poor" or "needy" in some way, spiritually or temporally? To the elders of the Church, the Lord commanded - "Behold, I say unto you, that ye must visit the poor and the needy and administer to their relief..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 44:6) "Must" seems rather clear, so does "visit". I think we understand what our responsibility is.

Another thought that came to mind this morning -

Hearken, O ye people of my church, and ye elders listen together, and hear my voice while it is called today, and harden not your hearts;
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:6)

Wherefore, come ye unto it, and with him that cometh I will reason as with men in days of old, and I will show unto you my strong reasoning.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:10)

In my mind, to reason is to talk, discuss, to argue logically, to pursuade and conclude intelligently regarding fact or truth. I marvel that the Lord will reason with us, and with "strong reasoning" the truth of these things by the power of his Spirit, "and by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things" (Book of Mormon Moroni 10:5).

The only way man can really reason is when he is humble, teachable, has an open mind, and is willing to accept new found knowledge or understanding. What a wonderful promise this is. For he continues -

For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, ...have not been deceived...
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:57)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home