Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

D&C 46 - 47

But notwithstanding those things which are written, it always has been given to the elders of my church from the beginning, and ever shall be, to conduct all meetings as they are directed and guided by the Holy Spirit. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:2)

What organization, whether in the private sector or public sector, or in business or for non-profit, or association, religion, society, our whatever, would ever allow its members to go outside of policy, guidelines, etc. (things which or written) to do as they are directed by a inspiration. I believe this statement is as much a testimony of the restored Church and priesthood as there could be. But there are additional instructions in regards to being "directed and guided by the Holy Spirit" in this section -

"...ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:7)

"...seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;...they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts...I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your minds what those gifts are...For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:8 - 11)

And it shall come to pass that he that asketh in Spirit shall receive in Spirit;
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:28)

And why is that so? Because -

"He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:30)

The Lord warned -

5 And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:65)

The requirement then is to ask "in the Spirit". And if so, it will be "according to the will of God". He continues that to be "in the Spirit" -

"...ye must practise virtue and holiness before me continually."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:33)

And in addition to -

"...all things must be done in the name of Christ, whatsoever you do in the Spirit;
32 And ye must give thanks unto God in the Spirit for whatsoever blessing ye are blessed with."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:31 - 32)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home