Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Saturday, April 09, 2005

D&C 52 - 54

As wonderful as it was with the restoration and dispensation of the gospel, it must have been very difficult times for the obedient saints as they witnessed the "manifestations of different spirits abroad in the earth" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:Heading), and many of the priesthood being assigned proselyting travels and journeys (Section 50), and in addition to, the demanding covenants of the consecration of properties. The early difficult times seemed to seperate the wheat from the tares.

To those who failed to keep their promises and covenants, the Lord said - "...as the covenant which they made unto me has been broken, even so it has become void and of none effect."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 54:4) And to those who was the cause he said "...wo to him by whom this offense cometh, for it had been better for him that he had been drowned in the depth of the sea..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 54:5)

But with any of our failures, the still Lord loves us and will forgive us - but "...let them repent of all their sins, and become truly humble before me and contrite. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 54:3)

I love the Lord's words to Newel Knight and the Colesville saints living Thompson, Ohio who did not break their promises and covenants but remained true -

6 But blessed are they who have kept the covenant and observed the commandment, for they shall obtain mercy.

As difficult as it is for his saints, he said -

"...be patient in tribulation until I come; and, behold, I come quickly, and my reward is with me, and they who have sought me early shall find rest to their souls.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 54:10)
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 54:6)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home