Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 11, 2005

D&C 55 - 57

"Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls;" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 56:16)

I periodically get canker sores in my mouth or on my tongue. They are always annoying and painful. They make it difficult to really enjoy eating. At times it is difficult to talk depending where they are. The thought of the cankering of my soul, is a soul searching warning. Riches is a relative thing. I'm sure the point is that all should give of their substance to the poor.

I think it is interesting when the Lord also warns the poor -

"Wo unto you poor men, whose hearts are not broken, whose spirits are not contrite, and whose bellies are not satisfied, and whose hands are not stayed from laying hold upon other men's goods, whose eyes are full of greediness, and who will not labor with your own hands!"
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 56:17)

Neither group is exempt from doing that which is right and good. Those that have must give. Those that have not must not only be humble and grateful for that which they receive but must work to their own best efforts to be self-reliant.

Another scripture seemed to spur my thoughts this morning -

13 And let my servant Oliver Cowdery assist him (William W. Phelps), even as I have commanded, in whatsoever place I shall appoint unto him, to copy, and to correct, and select, that all things may be right before me, as it shall be proved by the Spirit through him.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 57:13)

This verse seemed to touch me on the issue of pride. Through the previous few years, Oliver Cowdery had been a participant and witness to some of the most marvelous manifestations of the modern Church. He had held position in the Church that was second only to the Prophet. Without doing any historical research, he may have still held that position at this point in time. But this verse suggests that he is now being asked "to assist". I don't know if that was even an issue for Oliver, but we know that as the Church grew others were called to positions and others were released. Sometimes members feel that as one is called an serves valiantly, he should be "promoted" so to speak. But that is not always the case. I think it is in this way that men have opportunities to show their desire and willingness to serve but also learn to check their pride. We see historical evidence in Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris, Sidney Rigdon, and the list goes on and on. We don't earn position, we only follow the will of the Lord.

All men should be willing to serve in any position, at any point in time, to the best of their ability when called. It will always be that at times we are the leaders and at times the subordinate, at times the teacher and at times the student. I believe this is what the Lord meant when he said -
"...he that will not take up his cross and follow me, and keep my commandments, the same shall not be saved." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 56:2) In this case "his cross" meaning to check his pride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home