Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 04, 2005

D&C 43 - 44

This past weekend, the 175th general conference of the Church was held. I read again this morning -

...Behold, I give unto you a commandment, that when ye are assembled together ye shall instruct and edify each other, that ye may know how to act and direct my church, how to act upon the points of my law and commandments, which I have given.
9 And thus ye shall become instructed in the law of my church, and be sanctified by that which ye have received, and ye shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness before me—
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:8 - 9)

The Saviors words could not better summarize this past conference. Instruction after instruction covered how we are "to act upon the points of [his] law and commandments, which [he has] given" being admonished "to act in all holiness."

Hearken, O ye nations of the earth, and hear the words of that God...how often would I have gathered you together as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, but ye would not!
25 How oft have I called upon you by the mouth of my servants, and by the ministering of angels, and by mine own voice, ... and by the voice of mercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the riches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an everlasting salvation, but ye would not! (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:23 - 25)

We were "taught from on high" (verse 16). I was very much edified.

15 Again I say, hearken ye elders of my church, whom I have appointed: Ye are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put into your hands by the power of my Spirit;
16 And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:15 - 16)

As elders of the Church, we are not sent to be taught or in my mind, contention of tenets, but to teach by the Spirit to those who receive by the same Spirit (the elect) things that are given by the Spirit. As we are taught by the Spirit and strive for holiness, we are sanctified by the same Spirit and are endowed with power. In my mind, the power of testimony given by the Spirit to witness to the inhabitants of the earth to truth of these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home