Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

D&C 29

First, something about yesterday's blog that seemed to continue to press on my mind throughout the day and this morning regarding the young men and women in the Church. That is in taking on the whole armor. The armor of the breastplate, helmet, and sheild is to protect the us from the fiery darts or temptations of the devil which has seemed to be the emphasis for the young people. But as the war with evil grows, it is the sword that has seemed to press on my mind. It is this young generation that must now do more than just protect itself. It must begin an offensive against evil and darkness. That sword is the Spirit and the "word". I feel a strong need not only protect the youth but to help them develop a desire to read the scriptures, have communion with Spirit, and develop testimonies humbly on their own. It will be their testimonies that will give them strength to attack the challenges of our day.

The Lord revealed "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal elife of man. (Pearl of Great Price Moses 1:39) Several time throughout the scriptures the Savior describes this work as "the first shall be last, and that the last shall be first" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:30) He explains this to our understanding with "Speaking unto you that you may naturally understand" "First spiritual, secondly temporal, which is the beginning of my work; and again, first temporal, and secondly spiritual, which is the last of my work—"(Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:32-33)

The first part of his work is the creation of things spiritually (Pearl of Great Price Moses 3:5) then temporally on the earth which included placing Adam in the garden, giving him his agency, and allowing the fall. Man then in his fallen state was a temporal state because of death - Both physical and spiritual death. The second part of his work is to provide a means or way for man in this fallen temporal state to be redeemed to an eternal spiritual state. Spiritual state not meaning spirit state, but spiritual existence. He simplifies this work with the the statement - first (spiritual) shall be last (spiritual) and the last (temporal) shall be first (temporal).

And of this work he say - "but unto myself my works have no end, neither beginning"
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:33)

This explanation is brief, but it is written more for my own understanding than anyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home