Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

D&C 133

I decided to jump to section 133 this morning in that this revelation was received in the latter part of 1831. I assume this revelation was received why the Prophet was immersed in the translation of the Bible. As I read this section, I felt there were basically two lands - Zion and Babylon.

"...the time has come when the voice of the Lord is unto you: Go ye out of Babylon; gather ye out from among the nations." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:7) and to "Go ye forth unto the land of Zion..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:9)

What is Zion? "...thus saith the Lord, let Zion rejoice, for this is Zion—THE PURE IN HEART;
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 97:21)

Zion seems more of a condition than a physical place. As the the Lord commanded "Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off;" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:8) "Hearken and hear, O ye inhabitants of the earth. Listen, ye elders of my church together, and hear the voice of the Lord; for he calleth upon all men, and he commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:16) "Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:5)

This seems apparent as the Lord describes the growth of Zion "...that the borders of my people may be enlarged, and that her stakes may be strengthened, and that Zion may go forth unto the regions round about." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:9) - and throughout the earth. For we are commanded to "..Go ye out from among the nations, even from Babylon, from the midst of wickedness, which is spiritual Babylon." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:14)

And as we do so "let not your flight be in haste, but let all things be prepared before you;"(Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:15) It seems this is done line upon line, precept upon precept. And with a warning for those who may still desire a few things of the world - "...let him not look back lest sudden destruction shall come upon him."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:15)"

My hope is that we can all leave Babylon, not looking back, with an eye single to obtaining Zion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home