Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Luke 12

The Savior taught the parable -

"...this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through."  (New Testament | Luke 12:39)

Upon which Peter asked -

"...Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all?"  (New Testament | Luke 12:41)

To which the Savior answered -

"...Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?
43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing."  (New Testament | Luke 12:42 - 43)

The Joseph Smith Translation make these last two verses a little bit more clear -

"...I speak unto those whom the Lord shall make rulers over his household, to give his children their portion of meat in due season.
50 And they said, Who then is that faithful and wise servant?
51 And the Lord said unto them, It is that servant who watcheth, to impart his portion of meat in due season.
52 Blessed be that servant whom his Lord shall find, when he cometh, so doing. (JST Luke 12)

Why I think this translation make more sense is the description of a faithful and wise servant is on that "watcheth" and "imparts his portion of meat" or food to those that are of need.  In other words, those the care for the poor and needy will be blessed when He comes.