Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Luke 10

Luke records that the Savior -

"...appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest."  (New Testament | Luke 10:1 - 2)

In my mind, it is apparent that Jesus had already sent some that had been ordained as "Seventy" to the preach the gospel for Luke records that He appointed other Seventy to preach the gospel with the instruction -

"...into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:
9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you."  (New Testament | Luke 10:8 - 9)

Later these appointed or ordained Seventy -

"...returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name."  (New Testament | Luke 10:17)

Having received His priesthood and charge, the Savior then taught -

"Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven."  (New Testament | Luke 10:20)

For we read in modern day revelation  that -

"...whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.
34 They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.
35 And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord;
36 For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;
37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;
38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father's kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.
39 And this is according to the oath and covenant which belongeth to the priesthood."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:33 - 39)

Another thought...as the Savior visited the house of Martha and Mary in Bethany we read that -

"...Martha received him into her house.

39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."  (New Testament | Luke 10:38 - 42)

I find this event to be a great example that we should have balance in our lives.  Martha was very faithful in service and doing appropriate things according to customs.  At this time, Mary seemed to desire greatly to be taught of the Savior.  It is apparent at this time that the Savior wanted to teach important doctrine at this time over having one serve Him and that is probably why He commented that Mary chose the good part. 

As I read between the lines, the Savior didn't scold Martha but recognized her great service, but there is a time to do good and a time to listen and learn.  We need to recognize what is most important at that time, doing both in its appropriate time and having balance in our lives.