Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 15, 2014

Luke 12

As a multitude of people had gathered together, the Savior warned His disciples -

"...Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy."  (New Testament | Luke 12:1)

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines hypocrisy as -

"feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially: the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion."

Obviously, the Pharisees put on airs of righteousness, but behind that front, they intentionally committed gross sin contrary to the commandments.  Leaven of the Pharisees would suggest that once this becomes part of your life, it continues to grow to consume your life.

Of hypocrisy, the Savior said the day would come when -

"...there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
3 Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops."  (New Testament | Luke 12:2 - 3)

Whether in this life or the next, all things unrepented of will be revealed.

When the Savior was confronted concerning riches and inheritances, the Savior said -

"...Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth."  (New Testament | Luke 12:15)

And then He taught a parable saying -

"...The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?"  (New Testament | Luke 12:16 - 20)

The Savior then summarized -

"So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."  (New Testament | Luke 12:21)

I don't think the Savior is saying that riches are bad, but what one does with the riches.

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."  (New Testament | Luke 12:34)