Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, December 05, 2014

Luke 6

As the Savior taught the Golden Rule -

"...as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."  (New Testament | Luke 6:31)

And doing good to our fellowman including those that hate you, He promised -

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."  (New Testament | Luke 6:38)

No only the same measure we mete, but the promise "good measure, pressed down, and shaken together...[even] running over".

What a wonderful promise.

For those that suggest that all is necessary is to confess and acceptance of the Savior, the Lord asked -

"...why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"  (New Testament | Luke 6:46)

And then the Savior provides this strong parable -

"Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great."  (New Testament | Luke 6:47 - 49)

I note the words "digged deep".  I am a contractor and know the deeper the foundation the more stable it becomes.  Digging deep suggests much more than a verbal acceptance.