Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Isaiah 46

I find Isaiah's mockery of man-made idols somewhat entertaining as he mocks -

"BEL boweth down, Nebo stoopeth, their idols were upon the beasts, and upon the cattle: your carriages were heavy loaden; they are a burden to the weary beast.
2 They stoop, they bow down together, they could not deliver the burden, but themselves are gone into captivity."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 46:1 - 2)

Obviously, Isaiah is explaining that these man-made idols are heavy burden.  They have to be carried wherever.   That cannot walk or move on their own and somehow they are to deliver their worshipers.  And what is funny is when the people are captured, so are the idols who have no defense adding -

"They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.
7 They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove: yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 46:6 - 7)

Isaiah then compares this foolishness to the True and Living God saying -

"Hearken unto me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, which are borne by me from the belly, which are carried from the womb:
4 And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 46:3 - 4)

Where idols have to be carried, it is the Lord that carries us throughout our lives.  It reminds me that carrying sin is a burden, but repentance brings great freedom and liberty.