Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Genesis 42

Several days ago, I blogged about the unrighteousness of many of the sons of Jacob.  I know our Father in Heaven loves all his children and gives every opportunity to repent. 

What I find interesting is of the story of Joseph in Egypt and his brothers visit to Egypt because of the great famine in the land.  It is after we are told that after Joseph apparently accused his brothers of being spies (intentionally), the his brothers spoke among themselves in their own language as -

"they said one to another, We are verily guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he besought us, and we would not hear; therefore is this distress come upon us.
22 And Reuben answered them, saying, Spake I not unto you, saying, Do not sin against the child; and ye would not hear? therefore, behold, also his blood is required."  (Old Testament | Genesis 42:21 - 22)

These words must have sounded quite remorseful and sorrowful for -

"...they knew not that Joseph understood them; for he spake unto them by an interpreter.
24 And he turned himself about from them, and wept..."  (Old Testament | Genesis 42:23 - 24)

Maybe having been greatly humbled because of the famine as well as knowing their father suffered, and maybe because they were older and wiser, Joseph's brethren were in the process of Godly sorrow and repentance.

There is some evidence and Simeon seems to willing to be held as collateral.  We also see evidence as -

"...Reuben spake unto his father, saying, Slay my two sons, if I bring him not to thee: deliver him into my hand, and I will bring him to thee again."  (Old Testament | Genesis 42:37)

As well as Judah as he stepped forward saying -

"...I will be surety for him; of my hand shalt thou require him: if I bring him not unto thee, and set him before thee, then let me bear the blame for ever:"  (Old Testament | Genesis 43:9)

These comments suggest that they may be repentant and willing to take responsibility for their actions.