Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 17, 2014

Genesis 33

As Jacob was returning to his own country, he learned that Esau was coming to see him with 400 men.  Obviously, because Esau had previously wanted to kill him -

"...Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed..."    (Old Testament | Genesis 32:7)

What I find interesting is Jacob -

"...took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother;
14 Two hundred she goats, and twenty he goats, two hundred ewes, and twenty rams,
15 Thirty milch camels with their colts, forty kine, and ten bulls, twenty she asses, and ten foals.
16 And he delivered them into the hand of his servants, every drove by themselves; and said unto his servants, Pass over before me, and put a space betwixt drove and drove.
17 And he commanded the foremost, saying, When Esau my brother meeteth thee, and asketh thee, saying, Whose art thou? and whither goest thou? and whose are these before thee?
18 Then thou shalt say, They be thy servant Jacob's; it is a present sent unto my lord Esau: and, behold, also he is behind us.
19 And so commanded he the second, and the third, and all that followed the droves, saying, On this manner shall ye speak unto Esau, when ye find him.
20 And say ye moreover, Behold, thy servant Jacob is behind us. For he said, I will appease him with the present that goeth before me, and afterward I will see his face; peradventure he will accept of me.
21 So went the present over before him..." (Old Testament | Genesis 32:13 - 21)

I find this an interesting stradegy, to soften the heart and judgement of his brother, there was a planned process of continual gifts to do so.  We find as Esau arrived that -

"...Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept."  (Old Testament | Genesis 33:4)

The scriptures do not necessarily say what Esau's initial intent was or if the plan changed his heart, but either way, there is not question that Esau's heart was softened.  After meeting with Jacob, Esau said -

"...I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast unto thyself."  (Old Testament | Genesis 33:9)

I believe that in order to solidify the relationship, Jacob responded -

"...Nay, I pray thee, if now I have found grace in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand: for therefore I have seen thy face, as though I had seen the face of God, and thou wast pleased with me.
11 Take, I pray thee, my blessing that is brought to thee; because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough. And he urged him, and he took it."  (Old Testament | Genesis 33:10 - 11)

For those that are striving to heal or strengthen a relationship with family or friends, they may consider this great lesson.