Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Genesis 30

As I pondered the story of Jacob and his deal with Laban concerning his daughter Rachel, I was wondering what great message was hidden here that the Lord would have me understand.  What came to me later today may not necessarily be of great spiritual value, but more of temporal value.

It seems the young generation has developed a sense of entitlement.  Some feel if they get a good education, that they are entitled to a good, high paying job.  There is not sense of sacrifice or long term commitment to earn such.

First we see Jacob willing to work seven years for Rachel.  And even when Laban seemed to trick him with the marraige of Leah, he loves Rachel enought to work another seven years.  It appears Jacob worked hard and deserved what ever compensation he received for after having a family, Jacob approached Laban that he wanted to return to his own country and said to Laban -

"...Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and to my country.
26 Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee." (Old Testament | Genesis 30:25 - 26)

I don't know how long this was after he married Rachel, but obvioulsy he had fulfilled his deal with Laban.  Jacob must have worked hard and been a great asset to Laban for Laban seemed somewhat concerned with Jacob leaving and pleaded -

"...I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.
28 And he said, Appoint me thy wages, and I will give it."    (Old Testament | Genesis 30:27 - 28)

It seems Laban was willing to pay Jacob almost anything to stay and work for him.  With this leverage, Jacob made a deal with Laban, where Jacob took possession of the likely unwanted parts of the herd.  Later we read of Jacob that -

"...the man increased exceedingly, and had much cattle, and maidservants, and menservants, and camels, and asses."  (Old Testament | Genesis 30:43)

I believe the lesson here is that if one works hard for their employer that ones value greatly increases.  I have found that those willing to do so bring greater compensation and greater opportunities.