Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Genesis 37

In case anyone was wondering, I haven't blogged for over a week.  I came down with a cold that really nailed me.  Even though I read the Book of Mormon everyday (as I try to do everyday), I wasn't able to exercise on my crosstrainer and as a result, I wasn't up to blogging.

As I study each day, I'm always trying to ponder what great lessons can be had in this morning's reading.  Sometimes it is very difficult and sometimes, the inspiration flows.  This morning I read of the two dreams Joseph had concerning the obeisance of his brothers and his parents where  -

"...Joseph dreamed a dream, and he told it his brethren: and they hated him yet the more.
6 And he said unto them, Hear, I pray you, this dream which I have dreamed:
7 For, behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and, lo, my sheaf arose, and also stood upright; and, behold, your sheaves stood round about, and made obeisance to my sheaf.
8 And his brethren said to him, Shalt thou indeed reign over us? or shalt thou indeed have dominion over us? And they hated him yet the more for his dreams, and for his words."  (Old Testament | Genesis 37:5 - 8)

As well as -

"...he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.
10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?
11 And his brethren envied him; but his father observed the saying."  (Old Testament | Genesis 37:9 - 11)

As I read this in the past, I have thought that Joseph could have been much more tactful or refrained from even telling them.  It would have made his life a lot easier.  But then I thought of the Prophet Joseph Smith when the angel Moroni instructed him to tell his father.  Where he hadn't before, with this instruction he told his father and he believed the Prophet.  Maybe, Joseph of old was told to tell his brothers and parents which he did.  In his case, it brought captivity, but eventually led to the prophecy being fulfilled.

I find it interesting where Joseph Smith's father believed him, Joseph's father rebuked him, but "observed the saying" which means to me, that he may have felt guilty doing so knowing it was of God.