Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 31, 2014

Genesis 37

As much as we honor the "house of Israel" and the "tribes of Israel", we don't necessarily honor all the sons of Israel.  In fact, their hearts and conduct was not much different from many of the Jews in the days of the Savior.

First we learn of the nature of their hearts as they reasoned -

"Come now therefore, and let us slay him, and cast him into some pit, and we will say, Some evil beast hath devoured him..."  (Old Testament | Genesis 37:20)

Then they reasoned -

"...What profit is it if we slay our brother, and conceal his blood?
27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh..."  (Old Testament | Genesis 37:26 - 27)

They justified selling Joseph for gain.  And finally they lied to Jacob -

"...The child is not; and I, whither shall I go?
31 And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat in the blood;
32 And they sent the coat of many colours, and they brought it to their father; and said, This have we found: know now whether it be thy son's coat or no."  (Old Testament | Genesis 37:30 - 32)

And then they managed to watch their father mourn for years!  Murder, greed, and dishonesty as well as immorality was part of their nature.  This is sad yet Moses chose to include it in his record.