Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Genesis 41

As we read the story of Joseph interpreting the dreams of Pharoah, I find to things that caught my attention.  First, as -

"...Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they brought him hastily out of the dungeon: and he shaved himself, and changed his raiment, and came in unto Pharaoh."  (Old Testament | Genesis 41:14)

This may not seem like a big deal but I would expect that one that had been in prison for sometime having built some animosity to those that put him there, would make no effort to change his appearance...in other words, look at what you have done to me.  But Joseph seemed different.  Over and over he had taken opportunities to elevate himself.  Thus, "he shaved himself, and changed his raiment".  This must have really impressed Pharaoh, seeing his commitment to show respect.

The second is his humble nature for as -

"...Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I have dreamed a dream, and there is none that can interpret it: and I have heard say of thee, that thou canst understand a dream to interpret it.
16 And Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, It is not in me: God shall give Pharaoh an answer of peace." (Old Testament | Genesis 41:15 - 16)

Joseph clearly understood that this was a gift of the Spirit and acknowledge that taking no credit to himself.  This is a good practice as we serve in any of our callings.