Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Exodus 1

Having settled in the land of Goshen, Moses writes of the posterity of Israel -

"And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them."  (Old Testament | Exodus 1:7)

The family of Jacob that settled Goshen was about 70 individuals.  After a few hundred years, they were now considered a serious threat to Pharaoh and the people.  The covenant made with Jacob just as his fathers that their posterity would be as the sands of the sea or the stars of heaven.  It appears to me that it was always the intention of the Lord to have them settle for a period in the fertile area of Goshen instead of the volatile area of Canaan where there was much conflict.  It was in Goshen that Israel was established to eventually become a great nation.  Is it any wonder Joseph, in a sence prophecied -

"...God sent me before you to preserve you a posterity in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance."  (Old Testament | Genesis 45:7)