Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Genesis 13

As Abraham and Lot separated, where Lot had chosen the more fertile lands of Jordan, as part of what we consider the Abrahamic covenant -

"...the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:

15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.
17 Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee."  (Old Testament | Genesis 13:14 - 17)

Obviously, "thy seed as the dust of the earth" would suggest much more than we presently know are his posterity.  With this covenant we learn more from the JST of the Bible of these verses -

"And remember the covenant which I make with thee; for it shall be an everlasting covenant; and thou shalt remember the days of Enoch thy father;
15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered."  (JST - Genesis 13:14 - 16) 

This covenant was a new and everlasting covenant given to Abraham, but is was not necessarily new to others for this same covenant was given to Enoch.  It was a new and everlasting covenant given to Adam, Noah, and all faithful members to the Church that enter into such sacred covenants.