Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Genesis 1

As we read the Book of Genesis concerning Adam being placed in the garden, the Lord -

 "...the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."  (Old Testament | Genesis 2:16 - 17)

But by modern revelation, we learn that the Lord really said -

"....Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat,
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it, nevertheless, thou mayest choose for thyself, for it is given unto thee; but, remember that I forbid it, for in the day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 3:16 - 17)

The adding of that "thou mayest choose of thyself" is significant.  I believe that Adam and Eve were more intelligent than many people give their and their understanding of the earth and consequences was much greater than many think.  I believe they somewhat understood (with no experience) what life was like outside the garden.  I appreciate the teachings of Joseph Fielding Smith where he taught -

“Just why the Lord would say to Adam that he forbade him to partake of the fruit of that tree is not made clear in the Bible account, but in the original as it comes to us in the Book of Moses it is made definitely clear. It is that the Lord said to Adam that if he wished to remain as he was in the garden, then he was not to eat the fruit, but if he desired to eat it and partake of death he was at liberty to do so. So really it was not in the true sense a transgression of a divine commandment. Adam made the wise decision, in fact the only decision he could make” (Answers to Gospel Questions, Vol. 4, page 81).

In my mind, it was given to Adam and Eve the option or agency to remain in the garden with the present conditions or or choose great opportunity that would also come with challenges and opposition in all things.