Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Genesis 3

We find that upon both Adam and Eve eating of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil -

"...the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons."  (Old Testament | Genesis 3:7)

Though I believe both Adam and Eve were intelligent and had a understanding that they had the capacity and agency to choose ongoing life in the garden or life outside the garden, obviously they had not experienced life outside the garden therefore they may have lacked what I would consider wisdom.  Yet at the same time it is apparent that they had not necessarily possessed some sensual or physical feelings or desires.  And I might add, that in there present state, there understanding of good and evel or oppositions in all things was limited.

Somehow, by partaking of this fruit, they were taken to a higher level or a fulness of mortality.  Thus we read that their eyes were opened (more knowledge) and they recognized the physical characteristics of each and a knew found desires of appetites, passions, etc.  Thus in my mind, this sewed fig leaves of coverage is symbollic that Adam and Eve had become more like heavenly parents with a greater understanding and recognition of good and evil, the nature of opposites, and appetites and passions.

There is something else related to this higher understanding (eyes being opened), even feelings of being ashamed and guilt.  As they were both confronted by the Lord, first Adam as asked -

"....Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat."  (Old Testament | Genesis 3:11 - 12)

One of the god-like principles we have to learn in this life accountability in order to learn repentance.  Adam acting much like a small child that is found guilty wants to blame others.  His initial reaction is to blame Eve...but then you can tell he is beginning to learn accountability as he says "I did eat".

Eve is much the same as she responds -

"...The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat."  (Old Testament | Genesis 3:13)

I note one of the values of the Young Women is "choice and accountability".  As we learn to take responsibility for our actions, we begin to learn humility in order to repent and experience the grace of God.