Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, June 06, 2011

Acts 5

As I read of the Acts of the apostles in organization, revelations, and growth of the Church in the meridian of time, I can't help but recognize and compare the same great similarities and challenges in modern day.
As the Jewish rulers found that they could not even contain the apostles in prison for -

"...the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth..." (New Testament | Acts 5:19)

Even such that -

"...when the officers came, and found them not in the prison, they returned, and told,
23 Saying, The prison truly found we shut with all safety, and the keepers standing without before the doors: but when we had opened, we found no man within." (New Testament | Acts 5:22 - 23)

As these ruler plotted again to kill the apostles, wise Gamealiel, a Pharisee and one of great reputation, opined -

"...Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men." (New Testament | Acts 5:35)

After noting several other uprising of different groups had failed, he said -

"...now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." (New Testament | Acts 5:38 - 39)

How true that if it be God, you cannot overthrow it. So it is in modern day. Daniel saw and the Lord later emphasized that -

"...keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 65:2)

I know that this work is of God and will not come to nought but will fill the earth.