Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

John 20

Just a couple of thoughts this morning.

The testimony of the apostles was that Jesus had risen from the dead. John witnessed his death. Even such that he personally witnessed -

"...one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water." (New Testament | John 19:34)

But even then, when some may have suggested that somehow the Savior did not acturally die, the Savior even told Thomas -

"Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing." (New Testament | John 20:27)

The instruction to "thrust it into my side" would suggest to me that no one could possibly be a mortal and have that take place. There is no question in my mind at that time, the Savior was a resurrected being with a body of flesh and bones.

The second thought that came to my mind was that the Savior always seemed to emphasize that His relationship with the Father was different that all other men being the literal Son of God. He was always referring to His Father as My Father. If find it interesting that even in the resurrection, He seems again to differentiate this relationship as He tells Mary Magdalene -

"...I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." (New Testament | John 20:17)

He does not even suggest our Father or our God.