Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 26, 2011

John 21

After learning of the things that were yet to befall him, Peter then turns and asks the Savior concerning John -

"...Lord, and what shall this man do?" (New Testament | John 21:21)

Then of John, the Savior said -

"...If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?" (New Testament | John 21:22)

It was during His ministry the Savior commented of His disciples -

"...There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (New Testament | Matthew 16:28)

It was of John that the Savior testified -

"...He shall not die..." (New Testament | John 21:23)

In His visit to the Americas, the Savior also said to three of His disciples -

"...I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.
7 Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven.
8 And ye shall never endure the pains of death; but when I shall come in my glory ye shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye from mortality to immortality; and then shall ye be blessed in the kingdom of my Father." (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 28:6 - 8)

After much prayerful inquiry, Mormon later related -

"...since I wrote, I have inquired of the Lord, and he hath made it manifest unto me that there must needs be a change wrought upon their bodies, or else it needs be that they must taste of death;
38 Therefore, that they might not taste of death there was a change wrought upon their bodies, that they might not suffer pain nor sorrow save it were for the sins of the world.
39 Now this change was not equal to that which shall take place at the last day; but there was a change wrought upon them, insomuch that Satan could have no power over them, that he could not tempt them; and they were sanctified in the flesh, that they were holy, and that the powers of the earth could not hold them.
40 And in this state they were to remain until the judgment day of Christ; and at that day they were to receive a greater change, and to be received into the kingdom of the Father to go no more out, but to dwell with God eternally in the heavens." (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 28:37 - 40)

With the words of Mormon, be have better come to understand the writings of John.