Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

John 19

The Savior taught His disciples -

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again." (New Testament | John 10:17 - 18)

In a similar way, He says the same to Pilate -

"...Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above..." (New Testament | John 19:11)

Or in other words, as God would allow. This power to lay down His life becomes even more apparent at Calvary upon, in all clearness of mind, commanded John to care for His mother, -

"...Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth." (New Testament | John 19:28 - 29)

...knowing also that he must fulfill the prophecy of the David wherein -

"Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.
21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink." (Old Testament | Psalms 69:20 - 21)

Knowing this, the Savior having done all as commanded and prophecied -

"...said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (New Testament | John 19:30)

The Savior was not like the other men crucified with Him where there legs had to be broken to die, the Savior had power to lay down His life which He did after all was done.