Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

John 11

It seemed the raising of Lazarus from the dead was the event that took the Sanhedrin over the top to kill the Savior. But what simple words that touched me was when His disciples warned Him that the last time He was in Judea, the Jews sought to stone Him. To their concern -

"Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him." (New Testament | John 11:9 - 10)

I'm sure many would think that the Savior was in His eleventh hour and still had word to do. But what struck me was the following teachings that if a man walk in light, he does not stumble. When he walks in darkness, he will stumble. The Savior had previously taught -

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!" (New Testament | Matthew 6:22 - 23)

In modern day, the Lord revealed -

"...if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:67)

Light and darkness cannot co-exist. The promise is if we choose light, we will not stumble because we see or comprehend all things. In other words -
"...that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness.
24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.
25 And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 50:23 - 25)