Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

John 15

In one of the greater illustrations given by the Savior in comparing himself to the "true vine" and His Father as the husbandman, the Savior compares -

"Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit." (New Testament | John 15:2)

Again, the Lord makes it clear that "doing" is essential in receiving His greatest gift of eternal life or God's life as He again teaches -

"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." (New Testament | John 15:10)

Using the illustration again, the Savior describes the nature of the branches and their reliance upon Him -

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (New Testament | John 15:5)

These verses teach than even though we are promised all that the Father has, it also teaches the order of things that, in my mind, throughout eternity, without the "Vine", we can do nothing. That is why Jacob declared -

"Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement..." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 9:7)