Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

John 10

The Jews were very familiar with the analogy of the sheep and the shepherd in that it has been used multiple times throughout the Old Testament. I believe the had high regard for the shepherd in their culture. The Jews knew that the prophecies suggested that the Messiah would be the great shepherd. It is with that understanding that the Savior declared -

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." (New Testament | John 10:11)

But with that testimony, the Savior also teaches the principles of a good shepherd -

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." (New Testament | John 10:14)

This principle of being a good shepherd where Peter was commanded -

"...Feed my sheep." (New Testament | John 21:16)

Peter in turn said to his priesthood leaders -

"Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock." (New Testament | 1 Peter 5:2 - 3)

What great counsel given by the Savior and by his authorized servants.