Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Matthew 20

We read that at one point in their service -

"...came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" (New Testament | Matthew 18:1)

I seems apparent to me that these faithful brethren will contemplating position and power in the afterlife which I sense is based upon that they were one of the first to follow the Savior and have remained faithful and diligent - sounds logical. But position and power was never to be part of the gospel of Jesus Christ or the kingdom of God as it is in the world. To explain this, the Lord gave the parable of the laborers in the vineyard. The parable substantiates the very oath and covenant of the priesthood wherein the Lord taught -

"For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:33)

"...receiveth my Father's kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.
39 And this is according to the oath and covenant which belongeth to the priesthood." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:38 - 39)

It doesn't matter when one obtains this priesthood and magnifies it, the promised blessings are the same to all. As God's children, we should be happy and joyful when one receives these blessings whether we were the first or the last.

To emphasize that position or length of service has nothing to do with it, the Lord taught his apostles -

"...whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." (New Testament | Matthew 20:26 - 28)