Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Matthew 12

Matthew shared with us an interesting experience where -

"While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee." (New Testament | Matthew 12:46 - 47)

Matthew doesn't tell us anything about what the Savior's family wanted to discuss and it's importance, but in sharing this single experience, I find it interesting of the Savior's response -

"...he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." (New Testament | Matthew 12:48 - 50)

There is no question that the Savior's mission was different than all other of God's children and that -

"...I must be about my Father's business..." (New Testament | Luke 2:49)

But I think there is a great principle taught here that we all should consider, and that is as we look upon our neighbors, is not "the same is my brother, and and sister, and mother"? Throughout our lives we are called to serve and we to must consider who are our brothers, sister, mothers and prioritize our time accordingly. For -

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (New Testament | Matthew 10:37 - 38)

If we humbly approach the Lord, he will tell us what we should do.