Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 21, 2011

Matthew 13

The first parable that Matthew records is what is generally known as the Parable of the Sower. But what I have pondered is that it is more about the soil than the sower. Upon hearing this parable, His disciples asked -

"...Why speakest thou unto them in parables?" (New Testament | Matthew 13:10)

The Lord's response was -

"Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given." (New Testament | Matthew 13:11)

The Savior is not saying it won't be given to them, it is much more like the type of soil, they must prepared and then the mysteries will be given them. In my mind, the mysteries are not supernatural knowledge but spiritual knowledge and understanding that only comes to those that receive truth and light or is worthy to receive the light.

We learn in modern day revelation -

"He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 93:28)

In my mind, this brief doctrine is the summary of the Parable of the Sower.