Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 14, 2011

Matthew 9

Speaking of himself, Matthew records -

"...as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him." (New Testament | Matthew 9:9)

It was the publicans or those Jews that worked for the Romans that were the most hated and despised and considered by most to be robbers and sinners. It is interesting that no sooner than Matthew records his following of the Savior that he then records -

...as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples." (New Testament | Matthew 9:10)

You can almost sense that Matthew proselyted his friends and associates to also come and meet He who claimed to be the Messiah. It was -

"...when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?" (New Testament | Matthew 9:11)

To which the Savior answered -

"...They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick." (New Testament | Matthew 9:12)

...suggesting in my mind that we should especially reach out to the less fortunate and poor in spirit or in other words -

"...visit the poor and the needy and administer to their relief..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 44:6)

This seems to be even more emphasized as the Savior quoted Hosea -

"For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings." (Old Testament | Hosea 6:6)

Again suggesting -

to obey is better than sacrifice..." (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 15:22)

...or to show mercy and love is better than to sacrifice.