Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 03, 2011

Matthew 1

I begin a new year with a study of the New Testament.

I was particularly impressed with the character of Joseph as Matthew writes -

"...When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." (New Testament | Matthew 1:18 - 19)

As I relate this verse to our day, what man that is engaged to a young woman, that finds out that his fiance is pregnant, and knows it is not by him, would not be irrate, break off the engagement, and spread the news of her unfaithfulness. Would it not be natural to hold some kind of grudge.

Of Joseph's espousal to Mary, Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote -

"...According to Jewish law, marriage took place in two steps, first came the espousal or betrothal, later the formal marriage ceremony. Both formalities preceded assumption of the full privileges and responsibilities of the marital state. In a sense, espoused persons were viewed as already married, so that the angel in counseling Joseph to fulfill his marriage plans properly referred to Mary as his "wife." Espoused persons were considered bound to each other so that their betrothal could only be broken by a formal action akin to divorce. This is what Joseph had contemplated prior to receiving direction from the angelic visitant. (DNTC 1:83)."

As if in a test of Joseph's character, the angel did not bring the message of the sacred conception until Joseph had demonstration a God-like attribute to protect Mary from public scrutiny.