Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

D&C 136

At the end of mission of Zions Camp, the Lord said -

"...in consequence of the transgressions of my people, it is expedient in me that mine elders should wait for a little season for the redemption of Zion..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:9)

Years later at the banks of the Missouri, the Lord again revealed -

"Zion shall be redeemed in mine own due time." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 136:18)

The Lord then proceeds to explain His conditions of saving or redeeming Zion and then concluding with -

"My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 136:31)

Again, the redemption of Zion seems to be conditional upon holiness or purity -

"Therefore, marvel not at these things, for ye are not yet pure; ye can not yet bear my glory; but ye shall behold it if ye are faithful in keeping all my words..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 136:37)

I note that the word of the Lord seems just the same, whether from the mouth of the Prophet Joseph Smith or from Brigham Young.

"...whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)