Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Matthew 8

Early in His ministry, when Jesus, -

"...walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him." (New Testament | Matthew 4:18 - 20)

This is a very interesting verse. There is no question that Peter was married and had reponsibility to support family or at least his wife. Yet he straightway left this work to follow the Savior. In my mind, it is doubtful that he fully abandoned his husband or fatherly obligations, but it does suggest that when a call of leadership is made, much more time of the leader is required outside the home.

There was one in the multitudes that seems to have been called to the work or some leadership position by the Savior evidenced by the response -

"...another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father." (New Testament | Matthew 8:21)

To which the Savior answered -

"...Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead." (New Testament | Matthew 8:22)

...or in other words - let the spiritually dead bury the dead. There is no question and spouse, family, and extended has great priority in the work of the Lord. The Lord knows that. But when a call for the Lord, it may become necessary to weigh the priorities of salvation of man, the Lord's will, and the impact on family and friends. The Spirit will always tell you what you should do.