Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Matthew 4

After Satan's attempt to tempt the Savior, the Savior responded -

"It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." (New Testament | Matthew 4:7)

That reponse seemed to stimulate my thoughts this morning. I must confess that I have thought, or you could say plotted or strategized that at times if I was a little bit more obedient or maybe more charitable, the Lord surely you reward me with that which I desired. Almost as if my intent was conditional. I am more than aware that -

"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 130:20 - 21)

But in connection with this law, it is still left to the grace of the Lord for -

"We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel." (Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:3)

The word "may" suggests the Lord's will and grace, not ours. Our actions and obedience should be based upon love, desire, and commitment, not conditional upon blessings.

Regarding this event in the Savior's life, Elder James E. Talmage wrote -

"The glaring sophistry of Satan's citation of scripture was unworthy a categorical reply; his doctrine deserved neither logic nor argument; his misapplication of the written word was nullified by scripture that was germane; the lines of the psalmist were met by the binding fiat of the prophet of the exodus, in which he had commanded Israel that they should not provoke nor tempt the Lord to work miracles among them. Satan tempted Jesus to tempt the Father. It is as truly a blasphemous interference with the prerogatives of Deity to set limitations or make fixations of time or place at which the divine power shall be made manifest as it is to attempt to usurp that power. God alone must decide when and how His wonders shall be wrought." (JTC, pp. 130-31.)