Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

D&C 121

From the beginning, as Adam and Eve learned that there was "opposition in all things", the Lord told them -

"...in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee..." (Old Testament | Genesis 3:17 - 18)

In my mind, the Lord was saying that opposition and afflictions were to part of every man and woman's life. George Q. Morris related -

"The Prophet Joseph Smith one time said, when someone had remarked that somebody had affliction because of his sins, that it is an unhallowed statement to make, that afflictions come to all. . . ." (George Q. Morris, CR, October 1958, pp. 70-72.)

So while in great affliction in the Liberty Jail, the Lord lovingly said to the Prophet -

"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:7 - 8)

Even in all of his afflictions -

"Thou art not yet as Job..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:10)

And with his afflictions -

"...know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 122:7)

I concludes with one of the greatest questions -

"The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?" (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 122:8)