Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

D&C 117

The Lord's perspective on wealth is much different than man's. In revelation, the Lord addressed this matter with several individual saints saying -

"Let them repent of all their sins, and of all their covetous desires, before me, saith the Lord; for what is property unto me?..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:4)

The Lord even reasoned -

"For have I not the fowls of heaven, and also the fish of the sea, and the beasts of the mountains? Have I not made the earth? Do I not hold the destinies of all the armies of the nations of the earth?
7 Therefore, will I not make solitary places to bud and to blossom, and to bring forth in abundance?" (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:6 - 7)

Just as Job said -

"...the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Old Testament | Job 1:21)

Oliver Granger was one that had the capacity to earn great wealth, but instead, chose to follow the callings of the Lord. In response to his sacrifices, the Lord said -

"...when he falls he shall rise again, for his sacrifice shall be more sacred unto me than his increase, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:13)

As we liken the teachings of the Lord to ourselves, our sacrifices will be more sacred to the Lord than our increases.