Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, November 05, 2010

D&C 108

The Lord said to Lyman Sherman, an early president of the Seventies that he should -

"Wait patiently until the solemn assembly shall be called..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 108:4)

It was to be in this solemn assembly that -

"...you shall be remembered with the first of mine elders..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 108:4)

I understand that a solemn assembly is one that is called by priesthood leaders for special instruction, blessings, or sustainings. President Kimball said -

"Solemn assemblies have been known among the Saints since the days of Israel. They have been of various kinds but generally have been associated with the dedication of a temple or a special meeting appointed for the sustaining of a new First Presidency or a meeting for the priesthood to sustain a revelation, such as the tithing revelation to President Lorenzo Snow...." (Spencer W. Kimball, Ensign, May 1974, pp. 45-46.)

In my mind, ward conferences are somewhat of a solemn assembly where ward members are given the opportunity to sustain Church, stake, and ward officers. In a sense -

"...be remembered with the first of mine elders..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 108:4)