Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

D&C 105

Last week, I commented on the meaning of Zion and that Zion would only be redeemed by power. In my mind, true power comes only by holiness and worthiness as we make and keep sacred covenants. As Zions
Camp was positioned by Fishing River to redeem or rescue Zion, the Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"...this cannot be brought to pass until mine elders are endowed with power from on high." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:11)

And then He tells the prophet -

"...I have prepared a great endowment and blessing to be poured out upon them, inasmuch as they are faithful and continue in humility before me." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:12)

Again, suggesting that this power only comes to those that are faithful and keep His commandments. It seems Zion can only exist as the saints make sacred covenants and keep them. This is the power sufficient to redeem and keep Zion. It explains why, what seems to be very hard word, the Lord explains the initial words of this revelation -

"...I say unto you, were it not for the transgressions of my people, speaking concerning the church and not individuals, they might have been redeemed even now.
3 But behold, they have not learned to be obedient to the things which I required at their hands, but are full of all manner of evil, and do not impart of their substance, as becometh saints, to the poor and afflicted among them;
4 And are not united according to the union required by the law of the celestial kingdom;
5 And Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles of the law of the celestial kingdom; otherwise I cannot receive her unto myself.
6 And my people must needs be chastened until they learn obedience, if it must needs be, by the things which they suffer." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:2 - 6)

"...in consequence of the transgressions of my people, it is expedient in me that mine elders should wait for a little season for the redemption of Zion—
10 That they themselves may be prepared, and that my people may be taught more perfectly, and have experience, and know more perfectly concerning their duty, and the things which I require at their hands." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:9 - 10)

What may seem as hard words are in reality the Lord teaching His doctrine which is the truth.