Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

D&C 103

As the saints in Kirtland learned of the saints in Missouri being forced from their lands and homes, the Lord said in revelation -

"Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 103:15)

I've wondered if these early saints assumed the Lord was referring to force, but I've pondered this morning that it had more to do with Zion itself will only be redeemed by the power of holiness and righeousness for -

"...for this is Zion—THE PURE IN HEART..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 97:21)

Where -

"...the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them." (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:18)

And it -

"...was called the City of Holiness, even ZION." (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:19)

As the Lord would reveal his priesthood power, ordinances and covenants of the temple, he stated -

"...in the which house I design to endow those whom I have chosen with power from on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 95:8)

And it was in this house -

"...I have endowed him with the keys of the power of this priesthood..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 132:59)

For -

"...the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:36)

I believe that when we become people of Zion, living in righteousness and holiness before the Lord, by virtue of priesthood power, Zion will be redeemed as promised.