Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, October 15, 2010

D&C 98

As the Prophet becomes somewhat aware of the persecutions in Missouri, the Lord reveals -

"...your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament—the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.
3 Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 98:2 - 3)

As we look now in hindsight, as we read these verses, we now would have to assume their prayers were for peace, deliverance, and the retention of their properties. But we know that these immediate prayers were not answered in the manner I am sure those in Zion hoped for. But as one continues to read, you can sense a higher and long-term perspective to His promises as the Lord comments -

"...all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 98:3)

He even admonishes -

"...whoso layeth down his life in my cause, for my name's sake, shall find it again, even life eternal.
14 Therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 98:13 - 14)

These words would seem to suggest that in answer to their prayers, He will try them. Even some might die.

The Lord even goes on to teach the principle of forgiveness and how many times one must forgive. Even the principles of justification of war are taught. It becomes apparent that the Lord's promise the their prayers would be "fulfilled" would suggest and eternal perspective.