Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Amos 8

The prophet Amos foresaw a time and condition when the full truth would not be available on the earth, where -

"...saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it." (Old Testament | Amos 8:11 - 12)

Not being found would suggest that the word of the Lord would not be on the earth. Amos also taught what constituted having the word of the Lord for -

"Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Old Testament | Amos 3:7)

It would seem that an apostasy or loss of the word of the Lord then would have a great deal to with the Lord's "servants, the prophets". Amos saw that -

"Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations..." (Old Testament | Joel 3:2)

But the Lord would later -

"...also gather all nations..." (Old Testament | Joel 3:2)

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
14 And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God." (Old Testament | Amos 9:13 - 15)

As the Lord promised the days would come when there would be no famine in the land, I wondered in the above passages were more symbolic that the word of the Lord would be more than availabe and fruitful because the servant of the Lord, a prophet was on the earth.