Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 22, 2010

Genesis 34

From the testimony of prophets, Jacob was a righteous man. He may not have been perfect in everyway, but he did strive to do what was right. Even though he was a good father and properly taught his children the way, it didn't mean his children did all they were suppose to.

As we read about the situation with Dinah, Shechem, Simeon, and Levi, each failed to live the commandments. It always comes down to obedience. Even though Shechem and his family were civil, they were not obedient to the commandments. This still did not justify the actions of Simeon and Levi.

We do know that with all these events, Jacob responded -

"Ye have troubled me..." (Old Testament | Genesis 34:30)

Not only because the situation it placed his family in relationship to their neighbors, but also because of their disobedience.