Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 05, 2010

Genesis 14

In a few chapters of Genesis, we gain insight of the character of Abraham. First we know that even though Abraham's father was in support of sacraficial killing of Abraham. Abraham still took care of him and brought him to Haran.

When the land could not handle both Lot's and Abraham's cattle, Abraham said -

"...Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.
9 Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left." (Old Testament | Genesis 13:8 - 9)

Lot chose what appeared to be the better land and Abraham took the land in Canaan to avoid contention. Abraham was obviously a peacemaker.

Having acquired a great deal of wealth, when -

"..Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all." (Old Testament | Genesis 14:18 - 20)

With obedience, Abraham followed the law of tithing.

Abraham was not greedy but very fair. Having rescued Lot, he couldn't help but acquire the spoil. Not wanting to be made rich at the expense of the Lord's protection, as -

"...king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion." (Old Testament | Genesis 14:21 - 24)

All Abraham wanted was to be reimbursed his costs to rescue Lot. It is apparent that Abraham was very honest in his dealings with men.