Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 12, 2010

Genesis 19

I would like to return to a topic I blogged on a couple of days ago. We learn that when Lot settled the plains of Jordan that he -

"...pitched his tent toward Sodom." (Old Testament | Genesis 13:12)

Knowing that -

"...the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly."
(Old Testament | Genesis 13:13)

In my mind, the reason one would pitch his tent toward Sodom would suggest a desire to observe the things of this world instead of totally avoiding the things of this world. Eventually, maybe because of some longing for things of the world, Lot and his family ends up living in Sodom. Even though Lot strived to keep the commandments, what is serious is the effects it had on his family. First, we know that when -

"...his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt." (Old Testament | Genesis 19:26)

It becomes apparent that even with warnings, she could not help but desire or long for Sodom. I personally wonder if she didn't just look back but went back.

The lifestyle of Sodom or the wickedness of Sodom seemed to have an effect on his daughters who later, in selfishness and with the influence of Sodom chose to unrighteously have incest with their drunken father. It all seems to have been triggered intitially by Lot pitching his tent toward Sodom.